Sunday, November 6, 2011

Halloween Mayhem

So I haven't posted in a few weeks... but I have a good excuse.. well several actually. Most of which are genuinely valid too! It's been Halloween season (my 2nd favorite season next to Christmas obviously of course), which means Halloween festivities. Some of these include...


carving pumpkins!
 (the owl was mine, Davy Jones was Mark's, and Aston's was carved by me too)


Halloween treat making for co-workers with my dear friend Jessica


Anndd, a trip to Whistler over the Halloween weekend with friends.



Through all the mayhem of the Halloween season however, I did manage to bake a cake for a dear co-worker friend of mine for her 30th birthday. She requested a red velvet cake, which i have never attempted yet, so what better a time than the present to try it! 

I adapted this recipe from the one over at Pinch My Salt and frosted it with a basic cream cheese frosting.
Head on over to Pinchmysalt for the recipe! I did a few minor changes throughout but kept it generally the same. 

Heres a few photos of how mine went...

Cocoa powder and red food color paste... an entire bottle of red food color here folks. 
(maayybe like a quarter of the bottle ended up my hands and counters)

the red cake batter

pretty little cakes a' coolin'
(yes, Aston was sitting just beneath them in front of the stove)

layer one getting a nice little level and dirty ice

All ready to go! 

And all this work, and anticipation in await to see if my very first red velvet would turn out, turned out to this...

A very happy friend! and moments later...
a very empty cake plate full of crumbs.




PS- As you already know, I love Halloween & everything that accompanies it.... 
Aston after her first Halloween is not a happy camper pumpkin..










No comments:

Post a Comment