Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Apples Apples Everywhere

Despite the fact that I singlehandedly ensure I eat 1 apple every day, I still have an extreme overabundance of them! Its most likely attributed to that fact that my grandparents, who love to send me home with grocery bags full of produce from their garden, happen to also have an apple tree. And they, having an EXTREME overabundance, have decided to load some of these onto me. Don't get me wrong, I am nooott complaining at all! But at some point, these apples need to be used for something other than just regular old snacking....

Enter, apple loaf! 


I searched through several recipes for apple loaf, and keeping the key things as is, I modified them all together to make a still hearty, but very healthy loaf! Its as moist as can be, and tastes like an orchard in your mouth! Not to mention, it's not just a good snack, but makes a great breakfast on the go. 

Healthy Apple Oat Loaf

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup mashed banana
1 flax egg
3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
3/4 cup quick oats
1 3/4 cups whole oat flour (I make this by grinding down oats)
2 large apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, yogurt, maple syrup, mashed banana, and quick oats in a bowl. Set this aside to allow the oats to absorb a bit of the liquid. In the meantime, mix your flax egg in a small bowl and allow to gel (about 5 minutes). Then add the flax egg to the maple syrup banana mixture. 


In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gradually add these dry ingredients to the wet maple syrup banana mixture. Mix until well combined. Then, add in the 2 large diced apples and mix until well dispersed throughout the batter.

(doesn't it look healthy???)

Pour this batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. 
 I like to sprinkle a handful of quick oats across the top of the loaf; gives it that rustic fall appearance.


Bake for 40 minutes or until the top begins to lightly brown at 375-400 degrees. 
Allow to cool for about 20 minutes in the pan, before moving to a cool rack.


See bursting with healthy oat & apple goodness! And its so moist and fruity tasting, you'd never guess it's so healthy!









No comments:

Post a Comment