Friday, June 3, 2011

Strawberry Baking Powder Biscuits

Here it is!! The first recipe!!

This recipe is an adaptation of my grandma's baking powder biscuits (basically a scone). I've added strawberries to make them into a sweet treat!

Let me first say that if some of the recipes are slightly vague (I'll try to elaborate on them and explain them) it is because they come from my grandma's instructions. One day I hope to be as a good cook as her, because I have never seen her measure a single ingredient!! Therefore, some of the recipes may not state a specific quantity, but rather a little of this and a little of that. But I'll try to keep them as easy to follow as possible!

These are probably the lightest and fluffiest little biscuits I have ever enjoyed. When my grandma makes them, she makes them into circles using a mason jar to cut circles from the dough. I prefer the look of a square Starbucks-esque looking scone, but either shape works the same! 

Grandma's Baking Powder Biscuits with Strawberries

Ingredients
- 2 cups flour                      - 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder         - 1 egg
- 4 large Tbsps shortening (yes, shortening, this is one exception when you won't regret it)
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt (strawberry yogurt would be good too!)
- milk

To Make
In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening, until dough is crumbly-looking. Gently toss in the chopped strawberries.

Next, add the 2 Tbsp yogurt. Then, add in enough milk to make a soft, sticky dough. (DO NOT overdo it on the milk, scones are supposed to be dry but fluffy). Pat this out onto a well-floured surface (Grandma uses a cutting board, I prefer the granite). Pat the dough down into a large disc about a 1/2 inch thick. Cut this into 8 equal sized wedges. Place the dough wedges onto greased baking sheets.

**For softer biscuits, the dough should be placed close together, for crusty biscuits, spread them far apart


Bake these lovely little triangles at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until brown & crusty. 

I prefer them a little warm, but once cooled, they are delicious plain, but even better warmed and spread with a little butter. 

These ones here just happen to be my breakfast for the weekend ahead....YYYUUMMMM!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment